Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Our Lucky Yard Sale Day

Last Sunday, while driving home from shopping at Publix and Wal-Mart, I saw this tiny 4 family yard sale sign. At the last minute, I made the boyfriend turn the car around and drive by. It was late almost 4pm, so I wasn't even sure if they would still be out. I figured it couldn't hurt to just drive by.

We have been shopping yard sales since we moved and found out I was pregnant. We really needed a crib and a dresser for the new little one. I was planning on going to Target with the next paycheck to buy it. Yes, I know not very frugal, but I was frustrated from looking all over and not finding anything, plus the little one is due in less then 6 weeks.

So much to our fabulous luck, they were still set up. They had this bed frame taken apart and leaning against the house. I made him turn around again. He is very patient with me. We got out and looked at it. It was a 3 in 1 crib. The exact kind I was going to buy next weekend. They wanted $45 but it was the end of the day so they took $30. It needs some bolts and a good cleaning. I called the manufacturer and they are sending me a new hardware kit for free.

Next, I really decided to push my luck. As we pulled into our neighborhood, we saw another garage sale sign. So for kicks we decided to drive by. They had an antique dresser that matched my bedroom set perfectly. They only wanted $25. They also had a couch that looked brand new. That was $10. Can you believe it, a couch for $10? They were nice enough to help us move it since neither piece would fit in our small car.

All I can say is God provides when you least expect it. It all started with a chance drive-by. We had searched entire days looking for a crib and dresser and never came up with anything. Sunday was just our lucky day.

What have you found while yard sale shopping? Leave a comment and let us know. We would love to hear from you.

0 Comments: